Hello Compass parents!
Back to school is here ! Our kids won't admit it but I think they were even ready to go backJ The Compass public school ministry team has been busy preparing for our school year. I was thinking about the promise from Jeremiah 29:11 this morning, "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." These words are comforting as we send our three kids off to school this week, not knowing exactly what challenges we will face this year. Bullying law, Common Core, and secular messages and curriculum are just a few things that keep us on our knees. Once again, however, God has given us peace that our family is on the journey He has marked out for us. He has given us teachers and administrators with kind hearts and smiling faces, He brought more Christian teachers and administrators out of the woodwork at our schools, reminding us we are not alone on this mission field, and He has already given us opportunities to have important conversations with our kids about how we are different and how our biblical worldview allows us to see things like God does. We have even been able to have heart to heart conversations with our kid's teachers laying a foundation for these important relationships that will be critical as the inevitable bumps in the road occur. We are so grateful that God has great plans for our family and that He will be leading us in this journey.
DON"T FORGET…TEACHER COMMISSIONING THIS SUNDAY!!
A time of commissioning will be held THIS SUNDAY (September 7th) at Grace Church during both services, 9am and 10:40am. During this time pastors will lead a time of prayer, commissioning our educators onto the mission fields of their schools. If you are an educator please join us for this special time. Invite others! Compass will have a booth in the Commons and at Grace's Family Fun Fest this day as well. Stop by and say hi!
· We met throughout the summer to PRAY for our schools and for Compass ministry. Thank you to those of you who joined us for this Spirit-filled time of prayer. I love this time with our Compass parents and educators!
· Compass service arm partnered with Grace Church and PROP to be able to provide stocked backpacks to two EP schools for kids in need this year. Thanks to all who donated and helped with stocking and delivering them!
· On August 21st Mindy Heine, Josh Mulvihill, Heather Kohnen and Norene Shephard were LIVE from the State Fair on KKMS Radio with Paul Ridgeway! We had a great opportunity to share about Compass, our goals and how God is working in our public schools. Click here for our interviewhttps://www.hightail.com/download/ZUcwWGJOUnExUUJMWE1UQw. During our time with Paul, Hugh Hewitt from The Patriot at the booth next door got wind of our topic and invited us to share our vision on his national station to over a million people. We were blown away that God opened this door and gave us this opportunity. We can't wait to see how He uses it!
· Heather Kohnen and Hannah Ngygen, local Compass teachers, completed a 40 day training and development experience in the wilderness with the Daniel Institute as an extension of their Daniel Weekend last March. Watch for their experience highlighted THIS Sunday during both services at Grace Church.
· "Tonka Staff for Christ" in Minnetonka had over 60 educators from their district gather in preparation for their new school year. Here is an article about their event. http://www.ceai.org/ceai-blog/entry/an-encouraging-start-of-another-school-year.html. I am so grateful for these educators committed to living their faith in their schools and can't wait to see similar groups developing across the metro and beyond!
· Compass website is being developed! Stay tuned for the kickoff ofwww.compasslink.org
UPDATES FROM COMPASS ARMS-WHAT'S NEXT??
SAVE THE DATE!!! FREE Educator Breakfast is November 22nd 9-11am at Grace Church. Clint Elliott will be speaking on "Transforming Our Schools with God's Love and Truth." Clint is a litigator from Alliance for Defending Freedom and focuses on the area of religious rights in our schools. Invite Christian educators you know!
· Our next Compass Parent Meeting will be Wednesday, October 8th at 7pm at Grace in CA120C. We will be discussing our role as parents as our children attend public schools. All public school parents or those considering public school for their children are welcome!
· PARENTING CLASS!! A parenting class, "Biblical Worldview: Teaching Our Kids to Think Biblically in a Secular World" will be held at 9am in Room M209 on November 2nd at Grace. Description of the class: From a very early age, our children are surrounded by a secular view of the world which often leaves them with the impression the Bible is nothing but a bunch of made up stories. Teaching our kids to be confident the Bible is true, test everything through the lens of the Bible and see the big picture of biblical history is critical to helping them stand firm in their Christian faith and be prepared for the challenges they will face when they eventually leave home. In her talk, Shyla Allard will share practical ideas centered on these three themes to help us teach our kids to think biblically.
· JAM and CRAVE Wednesday night program will have a panel of students from across the metro that God has led to start student led bible studies in their schools onSeptember 17th.
· Parents and students are also invited to a prayer breakfast put on by Student Ministries on Monday, September 22nd at 6am to pray for their schools and their student's year.
· Student-led bible studies are starting at schools throughout the metro this month. If your student would like more information on how to start a similar study contact us firstname.lastname@example.org.
· "See you at the Pole" will be September 24th as students gather at their flag poles in prayer at schools across the nation. For more information on this event and how to participate go to www.syatp.org.
(Update from Daphne Edwards) The Minnesota State High School League (MSHSL) is set to vote on a Transgender Policy at their Board Meeting on October 2. All school districts and home schools are required to be members of the league to compete in state sports. The proposed policy states approved "transgender students-athletes should be able to use the locker room, shower and toilet facilities in accordance with the student's gender identity." The policy goes on to state, "transgender student-athletes generally should be assigned to share hotel rooms based on their gender identity, with an understanding that any student who needs extra privacy should be accommodated whenever possible." It is crucial that parents call and write the League or attend the Board Meeting to share feedback about the policy. The Board will review all of the feedback they've received on Oct. 1st so send your feedback before then to:
MSHSL Executive Director:
Find and contact your school's board representative on the MSHSL website, www.mshsl.org. Look for your school in the "Schools" drop down list on the top of the home page. Once on your school's page, look for the "Admin Region" number in the upper right hand corner of the page in the grey column. Go to "About MSHSL" from the home page and select "Contact Board of Directors" from the drop down list. Find the person who represents your area. The board meeting in October is open to the public and anyone interested will be given time to share their feedback on the policy. Meeting details:
MSHSL Mtg - Oct. 2 at 9:30 AM
2100 Freeway Blvd
Brooklyn Center, MN 55430
Please email us at email@example.com if you are interested in attending the meeting with other Compass parents and friends. We will coordinate a group to go together if there is enough interest.
Compass will be partnering with Grace Church's Big Serve to serve for the first time in two Eden Prairie Schools, Oak Point and Forest Hills on October 4th. WE NEED YOUR HELP! This is a family friendly service opportunity to help show the love of Christ by meeting our schools most basic needs. To sign up or for more information contact Anita Anderson firstname.lastname@example.org.
Compass will kick off a weekly prayer effort on Wednesday, September 24th at 7pm in CA120C to prayer for our schools and those within their walls. We will continue to meet every week throughout the school year at this time and place. All are welcome!
If you feel God leading you to get more involved in Compass leadership, please contact us email@example.com.
For His Glory!
www.compasslink.org (Coming soon!)